[SLUG] Re: Fedora Project v. Core v. Extras v. etc... -- WAS: The footprint of session, file and/or window manager

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 22:04:56 EST

I should have made my previous post into 2, one with this new subject.

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 21:37, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Again, assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. _Stop_ talking about
> Fedora -- you have _no_ idea what it does _now_! ;->

I really mean this. You need to _stop_. Or at least differentiate
between the Fedora _Project_ and Fedora _Core_ (let alone Extras,
etc...). If you don't want to, then don't assume I won't object.

So here's the scoop ... (which is explains _in_detail_ all over Red Hat,
Fedora Project and Fedora Extras sites) ...

The Fedora _Project_ is very similiar the Debian Project. There are
significant differences, but it's the largest scale project that comes
close to Debian (community or commercial). It has software guidelines,
package and integration release requirements, etc...

Fedora as a _Project_ is basically the complete opening of Development
at Red Hat, combined with both official and unofficial repositories in
one, large-scale community distribution effort. This is not unlike
Debian from the high-level.

In fact, anyone can take the basic 4MB CD or 6MB FAT (USB/other
attachement) "installer image" and install Fedora over the Internet --
from Development (fka Rawhide), from Test (fka Beta) or from [Fedora]
Core (fka [Red Hat] Linux). This is really no different than latter Red
Hat Linux release either, but Fedora has expanded the options.

Once that is installed, one can configure APT or YUM repositories. APT
can be either accessed directly in the UP2DATE program (originally
designed for the RHN, but now does both APT and YUM), or downloaded from
the _official_ APT (including the Synaptic GUI ;-) can be downloaded
from the _official_ Fedora Extras (Fedora.US). And as I mentioned, in
the near future, the YUM support will be _directly_ in the installer.
Unofficial APT support wouldn't surprise me either. ;->

Fedora _Core_ as a "fixed distribution" is the logical upgrade path from
Red Hat Linux. It is developed _specifically_ for _full_ compatibility
with packages from Red Hat Linux. In the Release Notes, just as with
prior Red Hat Linux versions, packages are added, deprecated and
removed. This "fixed distribution" is for those that _expect_ a
continued lineage from Red Hat Linux.

To demonize Fedora as a "kitchen sink" distro merely because Fedora Core
is offered is unfair. Red Hat continues to offers a full and supported
"equivalent" to Red Hat Linux, including _updates_directly_ from former
Red Hat Network (RHN) servers. If it did not, there would be even more
outcry. But, alas, no good deed goes unpunished. In fact, most
demonize Red Hat by saying, "Oh, Fedora Core? That's the 100% community
developed Beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Red Hat leeches on the
community." Sigh.

At the same time, Red Hat offers the full leverage of "network" as well
as "minimal" installs, an official "Fedora Extras" repository for
packages that won't be in Enterprise Linux, and then there are the
countless, 3rd party repositories just like Debian has too. But no one
seems to notice this. Especially since Red Hat not only provides _all_
of the build, network and other infrastructure for Fedora Core, but all
facets of the Fedora Project including Extras, Legacy, etc... -- sans
the 3rd Party repositories.

The "glass always half-empty viewpoints" are used by people (like
youself) to make their viewpoint stick, whether someone wants to say
"Fedora is a kitchen sick" or "Fedora is not Red Hat Linux." The Fedora
_Project_ is _not_ a "kitchen sink," but Fedora _Core_ is the "same
kitchen sink as Red Hat Linux" before it. Ironically, Fedora Core +
Extras + 3rd Parties aspires to be the same "we are the world"
collective, community repository that Debian + 3rd Parties is as well.

It's this "versus" element of being continually "my distro is better"
that is _self-defeating_ in the community and advocacy. So could you
_please_ stop? I offer explanations on Fedora, not Debian (despite any
history I've had in supporting it). You see to be in the position to
offer explanations to me on Fedora, even though you admit you've never
used it -- much less only "tried" Red Hat Linux before it.

Hence the continued problem.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux