Re: [SLUG] Re: Fedora Project v. Core v. Extras v. etc... -- WAS: The footprint of session, file and/or window manager

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 00:13:09 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I should have made my previous post into 2, one with this new subject.
>
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 19:16, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>>I prefer to get pretty much everything by use of the package manager
>>after installation. This is where that whole Lean Distro vs. Kitchen
>>Sink Distro decision comes into play. I prefer the lean distribution,
>>Debian, over the kitchen sink distribution, Fedora.
>

> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 21:37, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>Again, assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. _Stop_ talking about
>>Fedora -- you have _no_ idea what it does _now_! ;->
>

> I really mean this. You need to _stop_. Or at least differentiate
> between the Fedora _Project_ and Fedora _Core_ (let alone Extras,
> etc...). If you don't want to, then don't assume I won't object.

I really mean this: You need to not jump to conclusions about what
others mean. When you think someone is making an unfounded assumption,
you should try asking them about it rather than calling them
ignoramuses. Your attitude really sucks. If you don't want to clean up
your act, don't assume I won't object.

I've read the rest of your email, and found much of it informative (just
as I found much of it to be information I already had). I'll snip stuff
out that doesn't require my response without making specific references
here, because more is cut than kept.

> To demonize Fedora as a "kitchen sink" distro merely because Fedora Core
> is offered is unfair. Red Hat continues to offers a full and supported
> "equivalent" to Red Hat Linux, including _updates_directly_ from former
> Red Hat Network (RHN) servers. If it did not, there would be even more
> outcry. But, alas, no good deed goes unpunished. In fact, most
> demonize Red Hat by saying, "Oh, Fedora Core? That's the 100% community
> developed Beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Red Hat leeches on the
> community." Sigh.

Here's where you are, again, making huge f-ing assumptions about my
intentions. I don't "demonize" Fedora by classifying it as a kitchen
sink distro. The term "kitchen sink distro" as I use it is simply a
descriptive term that immediately conjures the needed impression, that
something includes all the bells and whistles by default. There are
distros that, by default, include a lot of stuff, and those that don't.
  I've given them the names "kitchen sink" and "lean" in the way I refer
to them as a form of shorthand. There is no judgmentalism implied by
either one.

Your ongoing campaign to find things to object to in what I say is a
constant irritation for me. Stop it. Don't look for the worst possible
interpretation of every single thing I say. It doesn't serve anyone's
interests. It makes you appear to be unhappy unless you can be
persecuted, and that's not an attractive trait (I don't use "attractive"
in the sense of "I wanna date you," so don't go there).

> The "glass always half-empty viewpoints" are used by people (like
> youself) to make their viewpoint stick, whether someone wants to say
> "Fedora is a kitchen sick" or "Fedora is not Red Hat Linux."

I don't have a "glass half-empty" viewpoint in regards to Fedora. You
just read that into my words, constantly, incessantly. It gets old
rather quickly.

> It's this "versus" element of being continually "my distro is better"

I don't know who you're talking to that is saying that, but it's not me.

I don't think "my" distro is "better", only that it's better for ME.
That's why I use it. Whether or not it's better for you is entirely up
to you. I don't know whether it's better for you, and frankly, I don't
care. Any time I tell you any reason that I prefer Debian, you act like
I just insulted your mother. I haven't even insulted Fedora. You just
misconstrue (possibly intentionally) my statements as insults to Fedora.

Get over it.

> Hence the continued problem.

The continued problem is that you are LOOKING for reasons to have a
problem with me. If you really want problems to stop, STOP LOOKING FOR
THEM WHERE THEY DON'T EXIST!

--
Chad