[SLUG] Re: Fedora Project v. Core v. Extras v. etc... -- WAS: The footprint of session, file and/or window manager

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 00:55:18 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 00:13, Chad Perrin wrote:
> I really mean this: You need to not jump to conclusions about what
> others mean. When you think someone is making an unfounded assumption,
> you should try asking them about it rather than calling them
> ignoramuses. Your attitude really sucks. If you don't want to clean up
> your act, don't assume I won't object.

Your insistence in telling me why you don't run Fedora, by stating what
Fedora is and how it differs from Debian, based on *0* usage of Fedora
and only prior "trials" of Red Hat Linux is the _total_ problem.

I have absolutely _no_ interest in hearing why you don't run Fedora.
Because it only contains what you _think_ is Fedora. Please, _stop_ it.

> Here's where you are, again, making huge f-ing assumptions about my
> intentions. I don't "demonize" Fedora by classifying it as a kitchen
> sink distro.

You are using it as a "differentiator" -- one that is _not_ true.
You have _yet_ to offer _anything_ that says otherwise.

> The term "kitchen sink distro" as I use it is simply a
> descriptive term that immediately conjures the needed impression, that
> something includes all the bells and whistles by default.

And you would get this impression about Fedora ... because?
Are you starting to see the problem here? ;->

> There are distros that, by default, include a lot of stuff, and those
> that don't. I've given them the names "kitchen sink" and "lean" in the
> way I refer to them as a form of shorthand. There is no judgmentalism
> implied by either one.

It's not about judgementalism. It's about you have absolutely no idea
of how Fedora organizes its packages, how you can install it, what its
installation options are, etc...

> Your ongoing campaign to find things to object to in what I say is a
> constant irritation for me. Stop it.

I simply object because you continue to tell me what Fedora is, and why
you don't use it. I'm asking you not to bother! That's all! @-p

> Don't look for the worst possible interpretation of every single thing
> I say. It doesn't serve anyone's interests. It makes you appear to
> be unhappy unless you can be persecuted, and that's not an attractive
> trait (I don't use "attractive" in the sense of "I wanna date you," so
> don't go there).

Simply put: Do _not_ tell me why you don't run Fedora. Everytime you
make a statement, you can't put down anything that has any basis. And
you can't do that because all you have to go on is either what you've
heard 2nd/3rd hand, or in your prior "trials" of Red Hat Linux.

Why must you tell me why you don't run Fedora?
Why must you make it about "versus" such as "I don't like 'kitchen sink'
distros" (of which you still haven't explained).

> I don't have a "glass half-empty" viewpoint in regards to Fedora. You
> just read that into my words, constantly, incessantly. It gets old
> rather quickly.

It's a "glass half empty" viewpoint, one that chances with statement.
Dude, no need to explain why you don't run Fedora, I'm not asking!
And that means _stop_ telling me how Fedora is "approached."

> I don't think "my" distro is "better", only that it's better for ME.

Then do it on what you "_like_ about Debian."
But do _not_ do it about what you "like about Debian _versus_ Fedora."
Because you've _never_ used Fedora!

The result is that you are now "marketing" that "Debian has this
approach, Fedora has this approach." Especially given the fact that you
haven't used Fedora!

> The continued problem is that you are LOOKING for reasons to have a
> problem with me. If you really want problems to stop, STOP LOOKING FOR
> THEM WHERE THEY DON'T EXIST!

What is it about this "versus" comments you are making that you don't
understand? Stop talking about the "Fedora approach" and how it differs
from Debian.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux