[SLUG] Re: I don't run Debian because it is a 14 CD "kitchen sink" distro ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 05:52:59 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 01:58, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Fedora is optimized for kitchen sink installs, and is better at them
> than Debian is.

You think you are being objective. But yet you have _never_ used
Fedora. Heck, a Debian user _might_ disagree with you too.

As I said before, don't try to compare and contrast Debian and Fedora.
It serves no purpose, especially given no experience with Fedora.

> That much is obvious, even without any direct experience with Fedora,
> just having used the Anaconda installer with a couple of other
> distributions.

You assume Anaconda is the "only" way to install Fedora. That was the
days of Red Hat Linux, not Fedora.

About 6 months ago, Seth Vidal talked about how there are no less than
*5* "common" meta-package/installation/upgrade approaches to Fedora.
>From that, he detailed how the redundancy of them all was going to be
eliminated with a _single_, _formal_ YUM implementation.

You don't need to use Anaconda to install Fedora. It's just how much
people do it from CD.

> Even the Anaconda installer from very old RHL was better at kitchen
> sink installs than either Debian's new installer or that packaged with
> Woody by default.

Some may disagree with you. But I'm not going to go there.

> Likewise, Debian is more "optimized" in its installation methodology for
> lean installs than Fedora, by all accounts, is. Even when using the
> text-based installer for Fedora ... cut ...

That's assuming I'm using Anaconda to install. That might have been the
only option in Red Hat Linux. That is no longer the case with Fedora.

Fedora is still evolving. But the installer, dependency and other
assumptions based on Red Hat Linux are _no_more_.

> Because Fedora's installation methodology ... cut ...

Okay, let's step back for a moment. Let's call it "Anaconda" -- because
"Anaconda" is just *1* way to install Fedora. ;->

Remember, technologies, not products. ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of