Re: [SLUG] Re: I don't run Debian because it is a 14 CD "kitchen sink" distro ...

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 06:15:59 EST

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>>That much is obvious, even without any direct experience with Fedora,
>>just having used the Anaconda installer with a couple of other
>>distributions.
>

> You assume Anaconda is the "only" way to install Fedora. That was the
> days of Red Hat Linux, not Fedora.

Incorrect. I "assume", based on very good sources, that Anaconda is the
DEFAULT way to install it. Obviously, you can install it in a great
number of ways, including hacking together your own installer from
scratch, if you really want to. You can do that with ANY distribution.
  Once you start going down that road, though, there really isn't any
difference between any distributions any longer. I'm discussing
defaults. Considering how often I keep saying "by default", I'd think
that was obvious. Since it apparently wasn't, I'm attempting to rectify
the situation now.

>>Likewise, Debian is more "optimized" in its installation methodology for
>>lean installs than Fedora, by all accounts, is. Even when using the
>>text-based installer for Fedora ... cut ...
>

> That's assuming I'm using Anaconda to install. That might have been the
> only option in Red Hat Linux. That is no longer the case with Fedora.

I'm not sure how you can say that, considering (as you just quoted) I
said "even when using the text-based installer".

>>Because Fedora's installation methodology ... cut ...
>

> Okay, let's step back for a moment. Let's call it "Anaconda" -- because
> "Anaconda" is just *1* way to install Fedora.

Since I'm talking about more than just the Anaconda installer (also
discussing the text installer), I think we should probably NOT just call
it "Anaconda".

By the way, (package-based) distributions are (fundamentally)
collections of technologies and packages. If we're going to discuss
technologies, we might as well discuss them in groups when that is
appropriate. When those groups happen to coincide with a distribution,
we may as well talk about distributions.

I just know you're almost certainly going to disagree with every single
word of this, if only because you perceive this all as some kind of
attack on your favorite distribution. There's little point in trying to
have a discussion with you about anything, considering you seem intent
on making me out to be a "bad guy". I don't care to clutter up the list
further, even though some of what we've discussed of late has been
(marginally) useful to others. As such, I probably won't be responding
at all to your next response to this. Fair warning.

Here's your chance to post a bunch of passive-aggressive
character-assassination crap all over again.

--
Chad