[SLUG] Re: Fedora Project v. Core v. Extras v. etc... -- WAS: The footprint of session, file and/or window manager

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 06:53:11 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 06:19, Chad Perrin wrote:
> According to the option set you'd like me to use, which is apparently
> "the sum total of all options for installing Linux, which are applicable
> to all distributions, and by which you can even create your own
> distributions", there's effectively no such thing as a Fedora
> distribution (Core or otherwise).

Debian is a project.
Fedora is a project.

Debian is released in a full CD set.
Fedora is released in a full CD set (Fedora Core).

Debian has packages in addition to that CD set.
Fedora has packages in addition to that CD set.

Does one _have_ to install Debian from CD? No.
Does one _have_ to install Fedora from CD? No.

Does one _have_ to install the _specific_ version of Debian that is
released on the CD version? No.
Does one _have_ to install the _specific_ version of Fedora that is
released on the CD version? No.

Can I install Debian from testing or unstable? Yes.
Can I install Fedora from test or development? Yes.

Can I install Debian by fetching packages over the Internet? Yes.
Can I install Fedora by fetching packages over the Internet? Yes.

Do you have to use the Debian installer to install Debian? No.
Do you have to use the Fedora installer to install Fedora? No.

Can I plop a minimal Debian install and run dselect**? Yes.
Can I plop a minimal Fedora install and run UP2DATE/YUM**? Yes.

[ **NOTE: Fedora still lacks a "good menu" like dselect for this. The
YUM work is to change all that. That includes not only offering YUM
inside of Anaconda, but the other, installation methods.
Right now I "apt-get install synaptic" which brings down X, GTK+ and the
other dependencies. I then "startx" and run Synaptic to grab packages.
]

> Changing the rules to make you the "winner" may be satisfying to you,

As long as you keep comparing and contrasting Debian and Fedora, we
_all_ lose!

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of