Re: [SLUG] Command Queuing Program

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 09:57:29 EST

> Hey everyone, I recently finished up a command queuing program for my
> organization. It is a modest size, but I feel like it is lacking
> something. So if anyone would like to try it and leave a suggestion or
> two, it would be much appreciated.
>
> This program is called netexec, its job is to allow for the queuing of
> file and cmds, across an INTERNAL network. Please do not use this
> program on the internet. Right now I am using it to perform updates
> and change settings on a bunch of workstations. One of its benefits is
> that a netexec server can "proxy" requestions in a chain. It does log
> every file and cmd as well as their output.

Hi Christopher:
   This is an interesting program; thanks for sharing.
   A few features that could be useful

1) Add SSL.

2) Allow command chaining with ability to abort if subcommands fail. (e.g.
shutdown a database, run backup, restart db).

3) Allow some provision for schedule windows. E.g., kick off a backup between
1:00AM and 4:00AM but not later.

4) Some sort of command graph. I'm thinking of something that will map both
estimated completion and actual completion times. I.e., take the start and end
time for the day/week/month, then populate a chart showing where jobs overlap.
This would be cool for backup scheduling.

Kwan

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com