[SLUG] Re: I don't run Debian because it is a 14 CD "kitchen sink" distro ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 10:59:26 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 10:43, Levi Bard wrote:
> I've used both debian and fedora, both 32- and 64-bit, and my
> experiences mesh with what CP is saying. Additionally, any installer
> that depends on python can not be considered lean IMO.

Agreed. Which makes the _entire_ issue about "technology," not
necessarily "Fedora" and "too high of memory requirements."

But Anaconda (Python/Newt) is no longer the only way you can install
Fedora.

> The thing that makes the debian installer great for various
> installation sizes is the fact that it has 3 levels of granularity -
> "Install Everything," select from big chunks of stuff(Programming,
> Servers, GNOME, ...), and package-level.

Er, um, question?
Does Anaconda not offer the same, exact 3-tier selection?

> Incidentally, the x86-64 Fedora is a mess. At least it was for FC1 and FC2.

There were some serious issues with how /lib v. /lib64 worked with RPM.
This is well documented. Some of the new RPM and YUM features in FC3
are designed specifically to address those.

FC3 seems to be the first, good release for x86-64.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of