[SLUG] Modem

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 20:35:39 EST

Hi All

I have a box that has a US Robotics 56k Performance Pro Full Modem V.92
and V.90 in it [1].

I have over the last several days installed 4 distributions in this box
and in all cases the modem has failed to operate.

I have replaced the modem with an equivalent spare [2] which in all
honesty I think is good but may be bad.

I have had both modems [1 & 2] in two different slots.

The system with the original modem [1] was operation before I moved 6
months ago and was not assembled and re-entergized before the software
test as noted above.

The old original system RH 7.3 is still on a HD I have but will not boot
as it was installed with two HD, one hda and one hdb. hda had the
complete system installed on it. hdb has been used for other items and
no longer maintains the same name. Using this HD system refuses to boot
on LABEL=/mnt/Snoopie the former name of hdb. Reverence here is if
system would boot modem parameters would be available.

Modem Query Results [1 & 2] always come back blank. In another computer
some of you may recall manufactured by HP I have identical modem [3]. I
have thought of testing modem [1 & 2] for operation but do not want to
screw up system besides that computer is a real physical pain in the
hands to work on, numerous metal cuts.

I have a total of three modems. Two in two systems [1 & 3] one of which
is operation [3] and one of which the modem is NOT operation [1]. Plus I
have one spare modem [2] which is not working in the target system
either.

Any suggestions as how to proceed would be appreciated.

I am going to venture a guess that I have a software issue.

Thanks
Frank