Re: [SLUG] FC3 experiences -- Problems

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:21:35 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 21:10, Vernon Singleton wrote:
> Well, Fedora Core 3 looks pretty good, but i'm having two problems with it ...
> I'm missing the little systray/applet/tasklist thingy that shows all of my
> open applications ... so i cannot see my minimized applications, HELP!
> What is that systray thing called under gnome? And what start script
> normally launches that under FC3?

Fedora Core 3 is GNOME 2.8. A few things are changed from earlier GNOME
2 releases in Red Hat Linux 9 - Fedora Core 2.

You still right-click on the bar to bring up a list of things to add to
the panel, but it now launches a full window. There's a couple
different items under "Utilities" that will give you want you want. Try
they out.

> Another problem is that, even though I have installed the nvidia kernel module
> 1.0-6?6?2?9? ... X does not come up after rebooting the box ... i have to do
> something like "telinit 3" then "telinit 5" and then nvidia and gnome start
> up :-P Any clue what the hang up might be?

Are you booting with framebuffer (vga=something in GRUB)? The
Standardware "nvidia" driver sometimes takes issue if memory is used for
the kernel "nv" framebuffer.

Also note that you may need to re-install the nVidia driver after an
update. Sometimes a few RPMs overwrite a few, key files.

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you, never seen an issue like that.
Check the README: /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of