[SLUG] RE: List Chaos.

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 05:14:19 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 20:31, Ken Elliott wrote:
> To me, it seems that you and Chad got into a tug-of-war.

Yes we did.

> You seemed to be offended

Not offended, trying to make a point.

> and kept punching his buttons when you could have said your piece
> and let it go.

Yes, you are correct. I don't deny it. It was a _massive_ abuse of the
list on my part. I was trying to make a point, one that I had let go
before, only to see it repeated time and time again.

If you think I made an example of Chad, you bet I did. He has now
stopped. I shouldn't have answered you before because it's not fair to
him.

> Chad could have done the same.

I just wanted Chad to stop comparing and contrasting distros. He kept
digging a deeper and deeper hole with his assumptions on Fedora. There
was a very simple logic at work.

He has now stopped. And that is very gentleman of him.

> But it does seem to me that Chad made an effort to stop

He did not until today. I was not looking for an apology, I was looking
for him to stop comparing and contrasting. He has now stopped.

> and you kept trying to have the last word.

As long as he kept making assumptions, I provided technical fact. I'm
sure I could have done it better, far better.

> Please trust me when I say that this comes across as 'bullying'.

I'm very sure it did. I was very "bullish" on my desire to get him to
stop comparing and contrasting on Fedora, based on assumptions about it.

> I don't believe you meant to, but that's how it appears.

No, I knew _exact_ what I was doing. It _was_ a _blantant_ abuse of the
list. If some feel I should be banned because I _did_ have specific
intent, then I will accept that.

But I had a point to make. One that I've let go on and on and on
before, only to see more and more and more people do it. I don't deny I
was a bully. But I had a point to make.

> It was certainly NOT 100% technical.

I'm sure I slipped at times. But I had 1 goal in mind.

> I suggest that all of us stop with this thread.

Chad has stopped. I have to appreciate that.

> I value your technical insights, but this thread reflects badly on the
> participants.

I'm sure it does.

Everyone has an opinion on Red Hat, even if they haven't used it.
Especially in the case of Fedora, which is very different now --
especially since there is the Fedora Project as well as the Fedora Core
release, etc...

And more changes are to come.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of