Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 11:37:26 EST

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 05:38:01 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:

> Levi Bard wrote:
> > http://funroll-loops.org/
> > For entertainment purposes only. No Gentoo users were harmed in the
> > linking of this site.
>
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> > Pardon me. I only just now noticed this sitting in my inbox. I know
> > I'm about a month and change late with this.
> > That is HILARIOUS. I know just the Gentoo lover to send the link to:
> > someone I've known since ninth grade, lo these many (many many) moods ago.
> > s/moods/moons/
> > I'm sure he'll have a cow.
>
> It is the most _appropriate_ page I've ever seen.
>
> We've had "ports" distros for years in da'Berks (BSDs). In fact, I'm
> _glad_ we have a "ports" distro for Linux in Gentoo. If you read Daniel
> Robbins (a very intelligent gentleman whom I hope to meet in person
> someday) philosophy on the Gentoo page, it is _none_ of the non-sense
> you see from countless Gentoo people:
> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
>
> "Ports" distros have their benefits. Especially for embedded and
> small-footprint builds. With the creation of Gentoo, I have totally
> eliminated any reason for using "Linux From Scratch" (LFS) when I need
> to build an app-specific distro, or something with a small-footprint.

Gentoo is catching up with their embedded project, but until a month
or so ago, fitting their baselayout in the kind of footprint you could
shoehorn LFS into was a task.

With the uclibc use flag, they seem to be catching up somewhat. I've
fit Gentoo with Darwin Streaming Server and mp4live in less than 256
MB with less work than LFS would have likely taken, so I think you've
hit on one of the major strengths of Gentoo in coming months.

Portage also has a version of dependency hell, called depclean. :-}