Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 21:51:29 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:37, Tyler Vann-Campbell wrote:
> Gentoo is catching up with their embedded project, but until a month
> or so ago, fitting their baselayout in the kind of footprint you could
> shoehorn LFS into was a task.
> With the uclibc use flag, they seem to be catching up somewhat. I've
> fit Gentoo with Darwin Streaming Server and mp4live in less than 256
> MB with less work than LFS would have likely taken, so I think you've
> hit on one of the major strengths of Gentoo in coming months.

If I'm looking that small, I probably wouldn't look to a "typically
Linux" build. I.e., I would be statically linking in things from GLibC.

> Portage also has a version of dependency hell, called depclean. :-}

There are always trade-offs between "ports" and "packages" distros.

Again, I try to make things about "technologies," not "distributions."

BTW, when you see me use Fedora as an example, it's not because I don't
think others are as capable, it's because it's the one I'm most familiar
with. I have learned not to try to "include" other distros in an
example, because I might get something wrong. And that's just more,
unintentional FUID.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of