Re: [SLUG] Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts

From: R. Samuel Jose, Jr. (rob@buzr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 12:09:26 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:27, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> First off, I'd be interested in hearing more of your dependency issues on FC2.
> In the rare case the official repositories didn't have something, DAG's always did.
As I recall (it was a while back) I was having problems trying to rip
CDs with grip, so I was trying to install a different ripper (can't
remember the name) but gstreamer was causing problems (can't remember
exactly what. Old age is a bitch. :) ) Anyway I was trying different
distros on my new amd64 box and Gentoo stuck. BTW, I have not had any
multimedia issues with Gentoo! =:0

> Secondly, the uninstall issue is an issue on about any "ports" distro.
> The only way to avoid it is to have a meta-packages list.
> And if you're going to have that, you might as well have a file list association.
> And by then your already turning it into a "ports" distro. :->

Yeah, I just go with it. I rarely unmerge things so it isn't much of a
problem.

> I'm still a _huge_ fan of ports distros.
> Linux as a whole is better off with such an offering like Gentoo.
> Now it could only shed its "punks." ;->

Agreed. Although I wish the Gentoo Java Herd wouldn't look down on me
for using the Tomcat and Eclipse binaries. :)