Re: [SLUG] In defense or RPM (was Amusement for Gentoo nonenthusiasts)

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 19:21:46 EST

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> The biggest complaint about RPM today is "dependency hell". It's
> infamous enough that it's instantly recognizable like "blue screen of
> death." Dependency hell is not a bug. It's a feature. Seriously. This is
> RPM doing its job. It's letting you know that a package requires certain
> versions of libraries or needs other packages to work correctly. Imagine
> if it didn't do this checking (i.e., you ran a tarball based
> installation with requirements on system libraries). The program may run
> for a while but then you may get a weird bug. Because the program seems
> to run you start looking at other things. Maybe you spend time
> diagnosing the system itself, maybe even delve into the code. Believe
> me, you want the package manager to warn if version dependencies are not
> met.

My biggest complaint about RPM is that, when I try to install some program
and it says that I need foolib-3.0, that's fine. But it says squat about
an installed foolib-2.5, so I end up with multiple versions of foolib
installed.

And I don't know of a way to check for installed packages on which nothing
depends, but that's probably an ID=10t error.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk