[SLUG] rsync suggestions

From: James Marcinek (jmarc1@jemconsult.biz)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 18:32:08 EST

I'm in the middle of implementing rsync backup scenerio which are initiated by a
remote system and 'pulling' the data(part of the requirement). The script works
now but I need to implement this to also backup user's home directories as well.
With that said, I have a couple of ideas I'm floating around but I'd like to
have other suggestions for accomplishing this.

- I'm using ssh
- While I could create ssh keys for each user (and then initiate using the -i
option), this would require administrative overhead with the add/delete of
user's, so while this is possible it isn't as practical as we would like.
- I was considering adding the user account, that is doing the rsync, to the
user's 'group' and chmod'ing (recursively) to give read access(and back again).
I don't even want to get in depth with the problems that this could cause...
- Setting the executable user bit to the root account (using cron job) to turn
on/off this capability. This too has security concerns.

I'm trying to determine the best course of action with the least overhead
involved. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

James