Re: [SLUG] rsync suggestions

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 14:12:05 EST

From: James Marcinek
> but I realize that
I left an important bit of information(sorry):
> - The client system (which is initiating the rsync 'pull' ) is at a remote
> location and is being accessed over the Internet.

Yes, that is a big omission.
I finally assumed that's what you meant when you said DHCP.

> This system is also using a
DHCP address provided by the Internet Provider.

A DDNS service can help you with that, just FYI.

> I have plans to use NFS to rsync another server on the site.
> Obviously it's not
wise to use NFS over the internet though...

SFS is an option.
Although I don't know how hardened its port services are.

> The DHCP issue is really what's making me have to 'pull' from the client,

Don't let it.
Consider a DDNS instead.

> The client wants the data directories mirrored as opposed to
> 'backup' per say.

How much do they want to spend?
I don't know if you want such a client with such unreasonable expectations.

I left an employer of mine within the first 90 days because backups were not being addressed.
(it was how they approached everything and their "priorities" were rather screwed up).
The second I started using my own equipment I realized that it just wasn't worth the pay and environment.

BTW, this company isn't in Maitland, is it? ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith (currently mobile)
b.j.smith@ieee.org