[SLUG] Re: rsync suggestions

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 04:07:50 EST

slug@nks.net wrote:
> I use rsynch over ssh and specifty recursive and follow symlinks ...

You sure about following symlinks?
That can get one into trouble at times (e.g., recursive trees).

James Marcinek wrote:
> I like this approach. Simple and elegant

Also, I wanted to point out that just because you use "root" on the
original system to backup, you don't necessarily have to use "root" on
the target/destination system where the files are going. E.g., you can
have a SSH client that runs as "root" on a system connect to the SSH
server as a "non-root" user.

I typically don't like to exchange keys between "root" accounts on two
systems. I typically have the attitude that I will always ssh in as a
"regular" user, copying a public key to a non-root user's directory,
even if the private key is stored under the root account of the client.

Although this does make it tricky for rsync, because non-root users
cannot change the permissions on files. That's why I build a "sister"
script (using find -printf '') that does a "chown" (as well as a
"chmod"). Sometimes just having a script that can re-apply permissions
is just as good of a backup.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of