Re: [SLUG] rsync suggestions

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 04:21:29 EST

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 20:25, James Marcinek wrote:
> The first idea, while helps organize an rsync location, did not help me address
> my permission problems as I would still have to change the permissions on the
> /home/$USER directories in order for the 'backup' user to allow this user
> access...
> I'm still looking for suggestions.

The backup _could_ run as root on the _local_ system (which you are
backing up).

E.g., I typically have a script that:

  getperm.sh | ssh -c blowfish \
    backup@server cat > /home/backup/putperm_week${week}.sh
  rsync -av backup@server:/home/backup/week${week} /dir1 /dir2 /dir3

"getperm" generates a script called "putperm" that will re-apply
permissions to a directory tree. It uses "printf" to generate the
chown/chmod lines. Having a script that can re-apply permissions is
golden.

The "backup" user on "server" is just a regular user, even though the
script is running as a the local "root" user. I generate a set of keys
on the local side (as root), and copy the public key to the "backup"
user on "server."

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of