Re: [SLUG] Re: List Chaos.

From: paddy (paddy@ij.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 07:14:50 EST

Patrick Grantham wrote:
> love it!
> A couple of questions though;)
> jolly roving tar? I sailing ship?
> port stout works, but I think it's pork scouse - a stew-like meal served in
> a bowl made with lamb or pork, but I'm no expert.
> pretty sure grog is beer.

Grog is one part rum to two parts water (at least in the British Navy of
1790 - 1840). Raw spirits (Whiskey) was only served to those who could
afford them (Officers and wealthy passengers).

There is a legend in the Royal Navy that after the Battle of Trafalgar,
where Lord Nelson was killed, he had asked before he died, to not throw
his body overboard as was the custom in those days.

His men and officers, having great respect for the Admiral put his body
in a keg of spirits (Brandy) and hoisted it aboard a fast Frigate bound
for Merry Old England with the news that the English had won the
greatest naval battle ever fought up to that time. Napoleon's combined
French and Spanish navy was either captured or destroyed

Well, some of the rude, crude below decks forecastle hands got wind of
the fact that there was a keg of spirits aboard and tapped into it from
time to time. There after Brandy became know in the Royal Navy as
"Nelson's Blood".

Yo Ho Ho and a Merry Christmas

Paddy