Re: [SLUG] RE: List Chaos.

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 07:31:05 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 07:16, Max F Lang wrote:
> Not quite yet: I'm a *BSD and Slackware junkie, and have never been
> any great fan of RedHat's products. But Fedora 3 is pretty good,
> pretty darn good. FC1 was alright,

Correct. It was just a more stable (.2) revision of Red Hat Linux 9
(.1).

> FC2 did kinda suck,

As all .0 revisions. That's when Red Hat changes everything up.

> FC3 is first class.

As with any .1 revision. <Marylin Manson>This is the new sh**</Manson>,
but it's fairly stable. After 4 months of Bugzilla fix'n the ".0"
revision, by the time the ".1" revision hits "Test," it's down to minor
issues. By 2 months, it's ready for release.

> I could bitch about some missing apps due to licencing
> issues, but that's nothing freshrpms and livna haven't solved.

If you didn't catch me mentioning it before, Livna.ORG is the repository
the Fedora Project setup after they became Fedora Extras in the Red Hat
merge.

I typically tap DAG before FreshRPMS though. DAG tracks FreshRPMS
developments, as well as 4 others, so he's a great, single source. He
tends to be more wary of conflicts too.

> FC3 has been a first-rate desktop. Last word...

Well, I wouldn't go that far, and Fedora _is_ my preferred distro.

But anyone who feels "dis-enfranchised" by the Fedora Project should
either try it out, or heed those of us who actually run it. We're not
idiots and we don't take offense to dislike, but stuff that is _not_
accurate at all. Proliferation of that non-sense has to stop (because
it's the "majority thought" right now).**

I mean, with most of the comments I get, it doesn't sway me away. I
just tells me that you're probably not a good candidate for a Red Hat
Linux administrator. E.g., one guy on _another_ list that still
_actively_ supported Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9 at his job, but didn't know
about Fedora Legacy, much less UP2DATE, APT, YUM, etc... He just
complained he didn't have updates from RHN anymore, and other RPM hell
type comments. I mean, would I hire him for my Red Hat needs?

-- Bryan

**NOTE: I've learned not to comment on other distros I don't actively
use. I've made some doozers on Debian in my past, and I now know that
even though you _think_ you are being "objective," if you're not sure
about your facts, you're only spreading unintentional FUD.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of