Re: [SLUG] inappropriate behavior

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 03:32:09 EST

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:29:10 -0500, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> As for the issue of installers: I'm not sure what you were saying about
> the Debian installer.

Oops, I was unclear. I should have said "Debian-based", instead of
Debian. I tried the Debian installer....something like a year ago.
Not very successful.

No, I was talking about installing Xandros, vs installing Mepis, vs Yoper, etc.

Recently I was fighting with Mepis, just after Robin's book came out.
I had been going nuts over an issue with "sound" not working. Then I
watched Robin's video, and when he installed on his Thinkpad, and he
got the KDE Sound Error message, just the same as I had been getting,
and had to sort of dance around it--and I had to laugh (sorry Robin).

In my case, it turned out the installation created a file in directory
A, but if you run alsaconf it creates a different file in directory B,
which causes the sound system to ignore the proper file (in A). I
forget the specifics, and it doesn't happen on all hardware.
BUT....what I was saying is that this is a problem with the installer,
and it's not one that an average user is going to fix without spending
a few hours Googling and messing about. It's further complicated in
that the installed sound settings are muted, AND volumes turned
down--well, most of us know how it can be trying to fix something that
has multiple reasons for not working--you go around in circles, unless
you're the meticulus, careful type (not me!)

So if one installer gets all the basics working, and another doesn't,
I'll use the one that works. After it's installed all of them give me
the same OpenOffice, or Mozilla, or Apache or whatever.

> As for my own perspective on it:
> The Debian installer has undergone a drastic change recently.

You make a good point. I'll go through the exercise of trying it
very soon, just for educational value.

> There are certain classes of parts that can be "problem children" for
> Linux in general.

That's for sure!

John