Re: [SLUG] inappropriate behavior

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 03:55:09 EST

John wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:29:10 -0500, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
>

>>As for the issue of installers: I'm not sure what you were saying about
>>the Debian installer.
>

> Oops, I was unclear. I should have said "Debian-based", instead of
> Debian. I tried the Debian installer....something like a year ago.
> Not very successful.

Ah. Gotcha.

If you get the opportunity, and are up for trying something for the sake
of finding out how it works for you, I recommend using the new net
installer with a broadband connection. It has been an overall great
experience for me, working with this installer. My usual approach is to
install the OS in minimal form, choosing the "don't install anything
extra during OS installation, just use apt-get after the installation"
approach to getting the system I want. I've tried the dselect and
aptitude methods, and found both wanting in a number of different
manners. The same goes for tasksel, but moreso.

I get great results from installing a lean, console-based system, then
using apt-get to install everything I want on the system, though.

--
Chad