Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 04:07:31 EST

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 03:48:37 -0500, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> The thread do offer this interesting view. How/what do people consider to be
> Linux?

I guess technically anything that uses the Linux kernel is Linux.
Heck, my Tivo runs Linux and my PDA and more.

But to answer what I think you're asking: I've played with Red Hat,
Fedora, Suse (and Suse based things like Sun Java Desktop), but along
the way I decided that I would home in on Debian-based distros. I'm
just not smart enough to learn all those other branches.

Having made that decision, it's really a question of which
Debian-based distro has an installer that works for my hardware, and
maybe to a lesser degree, what window managers are incorporated. I
don't see ANY relevance wrt applications.

> Some people may have the skill to seperate the troubled area and say that
> FC3-681 kernel is messed up (has a broken USB) and simply revert back to 677.
>
> Others are not even able to remember what button to press, or when.

Hey, that's me!

John