Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 04:33:36 EST

John wrote:

> Yes, it's hard to mount a strong defense of the marketing and
> management skills of a company that just sold their entire PC division
> to China. What bothers me is just how many thousands of patents have
> fallen into Chinese hands. I haven't heard any data about this--just
> guessing.

I rather doubt that any patents were sold along with the PC division.
There's no percentage in it for IBM, and I think all patents that exist
under the IBM umbrella and didn't get there from acquired companies are
owned by the parent corporation. Further, I'm sure a great many patents
are transferred from acquired companies to the patent company, as well.

IBM isn't really in the business of selling patents. If only they'd go
into the business of releasing them into the public domain. . . .

--
Chad