Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 03:48:37 EST

On Friday 10 December 2004 03:08 am, John wrote:

> > > I agree. I like vector based drawing products a lot, and Draw! was a
> > > real leader in the field. They even had a linux version at one time,
> > > but dropped it. (Oops, one more point for my argument about the
> > > reliability of this vendor).
> >
> > Heh heh. That's a good point.
> >
> > Then again, the fact that they ever had a Linux-compatible version at
> > all is a huge step up from their main competition.
>
> Agreed. My guess is that this is another company that had brilliant
> people in the back room, and morons doing the marketing and managing.
> Reminds me of IBM.
>
> John

Yes, the total foul up of OS/2. That and Coke are the two biggest foul ups in
recent years.

The thread do offer this interesting view. How/what do people consider to be
Linux?

Different people no doubt see it differently. Some may very well equal the
installer to be Linux, others applications and some the kernel and libraries.

The funny part is that they all all right too.

The experience with Linux is partly the installer, the ability of the O/S to
operate effectively, the user-friendly-ness of the applications, and the
smothness and "coolness" (as each person defines that) of the desktop.

If something fails then that says Linux sucks to many people. These I would
say are the less educated (on Linux) ones.

Some people may have the skill to seperate the troubled area and say that
FC3-681 kernel is messed up (has a broken USB) and simply revert back to 677.

Others are not even able to remember what button to press, or when.

Another thing about lists, especially this one, is that the list is the
community on it and vice versa. So the list has various pro's and cons.

Bryan for example is very technically skilled, but at times seems to demand
too much of other members, in his qwest for technical accuracy.

He has brought a very high degree of experience to the list and that is nice
to see. (I'm not picking on you Bryan, but you serve well as an example. : )

Others have had problems with some things that he says. The same can be said
for other members too.

The point being is that we are a bunch of people from different backgrounds,
experience, social, financial and whatever else makes us who we are.

The first thing we have in common is Linux.

What the list is not, is a technical support line for some company.

The list is actually a community. It has all these people and their
personalities. For it to work we must demonstrate a bit of tolerance for each
other. Which is actually also part of what makes someone sane. The ability to
tolerate confusion.

If we treat each others as children who don't always know any better, we might
be more able to give them some slack. Then if you feel it's too much - just
reply offline.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.