Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 08:29:41 EST

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:22:17 -0500, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:33:36 -0500, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I rather doubt that any patents were sold along with the PC division.
> >

> > I just went Googling. The CFO of the Chinese company says "hundreds
> > of patents", and I'm betting that she understated it.
>
> Uh-oh . . .
>
> Yeah, this worries me. Any company in China is beholden, legally, to
> the Chinese government in ways Americans in general are usually
> incapable of understanding. Granting such ever-increasing control over
> the US economy by way of legal dominion over business processes to a
> country that has a relationship with the US as that of China is a recipe
> for disaster.

Yes, nobody should make any mistake--the communist Chinese goverment
are calling the shots. And I wish people would eliminate "trading
partner" and all such terms from their vocabulary--they are NOT our
"partners". My biggest concern is that they have something that will
allow them to throw a monkey wrench into American commerce, like SCO
only one hundred times better.

Anyway, lest this turn into a POLITICS discussion, let me tell you
that I found the correct ISO file for Debian Sarge install, and burned
a cd, and successfully installed. I ended up with a sort of
Gnome-looking thing, with a ton of apps installed. I thought I was
going to have to ask for each app individually.

You were right!! it was a piece of cake. I still have to play with
it to see what I've actually got.

Thanks for the tip.

John