Re: [SLUG] reading CDs or DVDs in a writer

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 12:50:42 EST

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Levi Bard wrote:

> > So the drive itself reads fine, it's just the device I was trying to use
> > that's no good? What is the correct device to mount?
>
> Odd, in my experience it would be /dev/scd0 or /dev/sr0 , both of
> which you seem to have tried with no success. Does it help if you
> specify the filename explicitly as iso9660 ?

Doesn't seem to:

[root@pc dev]# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/temp -t iso9660
mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block device

I did some more sleuthing, and found that the line

Dec 13 12:28:13 pc modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-11

(current date, of course)

gets added to /var/log/messages whenever I try, so it seems either I need to
add "alias block-major-11 <something>" to /etc/modules.conf OR that alias is
default, and I just have to compile the target. A little googling showed
the likely candidate to be sr_mod. Hey, I don't know why that wasn't
compiled; it had been under previous versions. Maybe I figured that since
I didn't have a real SCSI CD any more (I used to), I didn't need it.

Anyhow, I did 'make dep modules', then as root 'cp
/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/drivers/scsi/sr_mod.o
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/scsi' and 'depmod' and it seems to work,
without modification to /etc/modules.conf.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin