Re: [SLUG] Linux Laptop

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 01:58:33 EST

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Aaron Steimle wrote:

> I am getting ready to purchase a new laptop. I am leaning towards an IBM
> X or T series.

Better hurry:

Lenovo SAYS they'll keep everyone currently employed at IBM's Tokio design
place:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20041214184141.html

but what they say and what they do a year from now may differ.

> Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T buy an IBM laptop?

As opposed to buying another brand? Cost, specs. But I chose mine (T40)
and my mother's (T41) because of IBM's reputation for durability and build
quality. Their service is also excellent.

Do you need portability? If not, get a desktop.

> I have a old 600E laptop and I like the feel of it and have handled other
> IBM laptops and they feel rugged and seem to hold up well.

Mine seems to be tough.

> I am just curious what other linux users think. It seems that the newer
> kernels are handling laptops like a champ ( from what I am reading). Are
> there any major pitfalls that I am missing?

Winmodems, etc. Mine has no serial port. Many have no floppy drive. ACPI
(for suspend-to-RAM/disk and other things) and the special buttons are
mostly-supported. Peek in on the Linux-thinkpad list (
http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/ has info).

SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming
from an open window.  Work a little harder on improving your low self
esteem, you stupid freak.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_