Re: [SLUG] Directory in lost+found

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 08:25:00 EST

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:27:01 -0500 (EST), Eben King
<eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Lost+found has the following directory in it:
> > #290483
> > If I enter it I find the /root directory, with all of it's contents, I
> > figured this had been
> > created in a crash I had, but if I do cd /lost+found/#290483 I find I
> > am in /root.
>
> My guess is filesystem inconsistency, so you need to force a fsck when it's
> not mounted (use alternate boot media if required); how you do that depends
> on what filesystem it is. ext[23] -> e2fsck, reiserfs -> reiserfsck, etc.
> fsck calls the appropriate one, but different ones have different options.
>
> --
> -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
> VIRGO: All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
> for you. Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
> head impaled upon a stick. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

Hmm, interesting. When the crash happened it of course complained about
the file system and I ran e2fsck on it ( it is ext2) that is when it
generated various
files, and that directory. The files did not appear to have anything
in them that
was critical so I got rid of them. The directory is of course
different. I will run
e2fsck again say from a recovery CD and see what it says.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;