Re: [SLUG] VNC to remote machine

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 15:05:24 EST

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:50:01 -0500, Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com> wrote:

> >>Look in your user .vnc directory for a file called vncstartup. It's
> >>similar to the xinit, but specifically for VNC.
>
> > I have looked for it, but it shines in it's absence. I have done this
> > in the past and that is where I went to modify the window manager being called.
> > It appear that it is suppposed to look at the xinitrc file in the user
> > directory and take it from there, but that is not happening either. It is looking
> > elsewhere and starting up KDE.
>

> Hi Chuck:
> The local X server will look to the xinitrc and it will change the
> WM for local sessions. VNC, depending on configuration, will look to the
> xstartup. However, if you're using the shared desktop feature of KDE
> then it will be different entirely.
>
> I'm also running fluxbox on my machines (a mix of Fedora, RH,
> Mandrake, and Debian) and all the VNC sessions are controlled via the
> xstartup. It doesn't have the 'shared mode' turned on like the default
> Windows behaviour, but instead creates and entirely new login
> environment for each vncserver process.
>
> KL
Here is what I found when I did a find...
root@fpac-dev:/# find -iname xstartup
./etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup
./etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
root@fpac-dev:/#

Oh, I also do not start up X on this machine unless I want to start
it, so I always
start it from the command line using startx.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;