Re: [SLUG] VNC to remote machine

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 09:50:01 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:

>>>I am trying to figure out what needs to be whacked in order for fluxbox to come
>>>up. I am using Knoppix as the distro. This is the xinit.rc file for root.

>>Look in your user .vnc directory for a file called vncstartup. It's
>>similar to the xinit, but specifically for VNC.

> I have looked for it, but it shines in it's absence. I have done this
> in the past and that is where I went to modify the window manager being called.
> It appear that it is suppposed to look at the xinitrc file in the user
> directory and take it from there, but that is not happening either. It is looking
> elsewhere and starting up KDE.

Hi Chuck:
    The local X server will look to the xinitrc and it will change the
WM for local sessions. VNC, depending on configuration, will look to the
xstartup. However, if you're using the shared desktop feature of KDE
then it will be different entirely.

    I'm also running fluxbox on my machines (a mix of Fedora, RH,
Mandrake, and Debian) and all the VNC sessions are controlled via the
xstartup. It doesn't have the 'shared mode' turned on like the default
Windows behaviour, but instead creates and entirely new login
environment for each vncserver process.

KL