Re: [SLUG] VNC to remote machine

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 17:49:16 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 15:49, Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:20:37 -0500, Knowles Burrell <kburrell3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here is what I found when I did a find...
> > > root@fpac-dev:/# find -iname xstartup
> > > ./etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup
> > > ./etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
> > > root@fpac-dev:/#
> > >
> > > Oh, I also do not start up X on this machine unless I want to start
> > > it, so I always
> > > start it from the command line using startx.
> > >

> > The file mine starts from is ~/.vnc/xstartup (notice x not X) at the
> > end of the file is this:
> >
> > #twm &
> > #enlightenment &
> > gnome-session &
> >
> > As you can see I have changed it from twm to enlightenment to
> > gnome-session. Do you not have this file located there?
> >

> This is the only ones I found. And I have looked at both of them. Not sure
> where to poke, but there is no lower case xstartup that I can find.
>

> root@fpac-dev:/# find -iname xstartup
> ./etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup
> ./etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup

Chuck,

I'm not a VNC expert but can you do an ls -la on ~/.vnc ? I would
assume that find is capable of searching the hidden dir and is turning
up no matches but maybe there's something in there of help. What distro
and vnc server/viewer are you using?? (rpm -qa | grep vnc if it's a RPM
based distro) Knowing this might help diagnosis.

Mike Branda Jr.