[SLUG] Backing up and restoring mail server

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 11:18:33 EST

We are changing around the backup and recovery process for our mail server, running RH9, Cyrus and
Postfix. IMAP users authenticate via the /etc/passwd file. I'm using cpio via cron to backup
nightly, after Postfix and Cyrus are shutdown:

#!/bin/sh
cd /
find ./var/spool/imap ./var/lib/imap ./etc -depth | cpio -oaBv >/dev/st0 2>/var/log/cpio.log

The log file that is created basically just lists the files were backed up, which is not real
convenient for notifying the admin of the status of the backup. Is there a better way to capture
overall backup success/failure output from cpio? I'm hoping for something similar to what star or
taper do via email.

I'm only backing up about 2 Gig here, but it's taking over an hour on this old 8mm tape drive.
I've read that I can specify a bigger block size to possibly impove performance, but that may be
limited by the specs of the drive (Exabyte XL type, not sure of model). Is there a way to
determine max supported block size?

Also, when restoring the server, what is the best way to restore the users to the system? Do I
need to run useradd for each user? Can I just restore the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files, or at
least just the lines refering to the users? I'm hoping that I can do this without resetting
passwords.

Thanks!

Doug