Re: [SLUG] xine

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 10:32:16 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 22:52, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Yes, SuSE 8.1 on another box about a year ago. It wrote-protected the
> hard drive and I haven't been able to do anything with it since. I think
> I am going to have another wang at that box with FC 2.

Pete, the OS won't "write protect" the drive unless you tell it to by
accident (i.e. something messes with /etc/fstab or you do something
silly like chmod -R 400 / which would recursively make all your files
read only by owner). does the 8.1 OS still boot?? If it's on the box
you can issue the command "mount" by itself from a shell. It will tell
you what hard disk and partition are mounted as the root partition in
read only mode. Then issue mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /
(replacing hda1 with your proper partition). If your setup has multiple
partitions for linux (like /etc is on /hda2 /var is on /hda3) you will
need to make sure they are read-write also. Then you can effectively
edit /etc/fstab and tell it to mount rw on startup. Or, SuSE comes with
a smart GUI repair utility on disc 1. You can stick it in, select new
installation from the grub, and after selecting the language you have an
options menu. It has choices to the effect of "New Installation, Boot
Installed System, Repair". Select Repair and Auto Repair and it should
fix your problem on it's own.

> I *think* FC 2 will reformat the hard drive and get rid of/rewrite the current Linux
> partitions.

Any new installation (including the 9.1 SuSE you have) will format the
partition....usually automatically or by telling it to in an options
menu. Remember, the physical hard drive itself is not read only. Only
how it's mounted or how the file permissions are. It can be fixed
without a reinstall.

> I do have SuSE 8.2 and 9.1 on DVDs, free from Novell. I could try these,
> but I only will if the FC 2 doesn't work. The database development guys
> Ed Leafe and Paul McNett <http://dabodev.com> want me to use FC 2 for
> dabo work because they are familiar with that environment.

If you have somebody holding your hand through this, it's better to use
what they are using and are familiar with. However, If you want
something close to "point and click" for personal use (like your
laptop), I'm not sure FC is for you.

> Oxymoron that
> I would try to do database development, having screwed around for two
> years trying to install an OS other than Windows.

I have a guy I hired that only knew windows as of April this year.
Today he sits behind me writing php code for an internal LAMP (Linux
Apache MySql PHP) setup. All of this happens on his SuSE 9.0 Pro
Desktop. He can do remote logins with ssh, edit conf files etc... all
on linux. SuSE, Mandrake and RH all carry the database packages on
their Disc sets. With Debian you probably just have to apt-get them.

> I realize that I am not qualified to be trying this, but it is for a
> charity that has no budget and I am the only one willing to try.

Most of what you need to be "qualified" is in /usr/local/doc/packages or
/usr/local/doc/howto (/usr/share/ if you use SuSE) and in the man
pages. You should check FC to see if it has an included Admin Guide.
SuSE includes an Admin Guide that hand holds on how to set stuff up on
top of the usual docs. What you don't find in the docs, or if something
isn't clear, post to the list. We'd be glad to help!! :^) Usually
peoples responses won't make sense unless you read the docs first
though.

Good Luck!!

Mike Branda Jr.