Re: [SLUG] xine

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 13:30:45 EST

Mike Branda wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 22:52, Pete Theisen wrote:
>

>>Yes, SuSE 8.1 on another box about a year ago. It wrote-protected the
>>hard drive and I haven't been able to do anything with it since. I think
>>I am going to have another wang at that box with FC 2.
>

> Pete, the OS won't "write protect" the drive unless you tell it to by
> accident (i.e. something messes with /etc/fstab or you do something
> silly like chmod -R 400 / which would recursively make all your files
> read only by owner). does the 8.1 OS still boot?? If it's on the box
> you can issue the command "mount" by itself from a shell. It will tell
> you what hard disk and partition are mounted as the root partition in
> read only mode. Then issue mount -n -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /

Hi Mike!

I got it wrong, it is SuSE 8.2.

It says they are all rw. I think I remember what the trouble was. Trying
to set up the modem I got back an error message that it couldn't set up
the modem because the drive was read only. After that I didn't bother
with it any more. It still boots, though. Not only that, it detected my
new hardware that I had put in in the last year.

Doesn't seem to do extended desktop with the two monitors, though. Just
two pictures of the same thing side by side.

Oh, now it is froze up - doesn't like my new optical mouse. Reboot.
Broken now, won't see the mouse at all after the reboot. Oh, well, it
wouldn't see the modem which I know is *not* a winmodem. Time for a new
install on this turkey.

Oh, yeah. The Windows 98 SE side works fine. Dual monitors, extended
desktop and everything.

Regards,

Pete