Re: [SLUG] Diff Question

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 12:46:05 EST

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:19:38 -0500, Christopher Hotchkiss
<christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So is the problem with the symbolic links that they are pointing to
> > the wrong places? They are absolute, not relative, but their
> > absoluteness works if you chroot into each of the base directories?
> Yes they do work if you chroot, but then a program can't communicate
> out to check it against something else.

Yes, quite a pickle. Since you are using diff, you can probably patch
and build diffutils with the attached hack. If not, lemme know and I
will happily walk you through it.

diffutils source is here: http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/diffutils/

This patch is for 2.8 because I grabbed the wrong source, but it will
hopefully apply against 2.8.1 with minimal massaging if any. To use
it, add --broken-symlinks to your args, and it will prepend the
directory onto it if the target of the symlink starts with /. So if
the filesystems you are diffing are in /mnt/backup1 and /mnt/backup2
and each has a symlink to /tmp, then with:

diff --broken-symlinks -r /mnt/backup1 /mnt/backup2

diff will check /mnt/backup1/tmp and /mnt/backup2/tmp instead of
following the symlink to the real /tmp

Let me know how it goes... and Merry Christmas :).
~ Daniel