Re: [SLUG] cabling question ?

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 17:33:56 EST

> > > of leftover cable that is labled CAT-5e. It has only
> > > 4 wires that I can see.. unlike the standard 4 twisted
> > > pairs..

I have _never_ seen this at all

> also, some types of cable require that the individual wires need to be
> stripped about 1/16 of an inch from the end, and take a different rj45
> plug (the difference is in the configuration of the teeth on the brass
> tab inside the rj45 connector). i havent seen cable like this in quite
> some time and to my knowledge it doesnt exist in cat-5e (only cat-5),
> but again, im not positive.
>
> the outside of the box should (hopefully) tell you what kind of plugs
> to use and if it should be stripped.

If you use high quality components such as AMP, you'll find
that there exists RJ-45 connectors intended for stranded
wire (patch cables) and for solid wire (permanent wire not
meant to be flexed). The teeth bite differently for each type.

I've never seen any indication that the wire has to be stripped
prior to insertion into the plug before applying the crimp, in fact
it appears that the wire diameter with insulation intact is needed
to properly position each wire in the plug so that the blade is
pushed in correctly upon crimping and hits the wire centered.

These numbers are a few years old and predate Cat-5e:

AMP p/n RJ-45 stranded is 5-554739-3
AMP p/n RJ-45 solid is 5-554720-3

Listed as:

"Modular telephone plug , communication ckt. accessory, 8 pos'n"

- Bob