Re: [SLUG] cabling question ?

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 19:34:50 EST

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 08:36, Doug Koobs wrote:
> Then, insert the wires in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th position,
> and crimp. Make note of which color goes into which position, and
> do the same on the other end for a straight through cable.

I occasionally have to put RJ45 connectors onto non-Cat5 cables with
missing wires, like a specialty usb cable we use at work. The trick
I've found is to take a long length or two of the same kind of wire
and bend them in half, to make dummy wires. First arrange the
working wires, and then space them with the dummy wires and insert
the mess into the connector. You have to hold the cable tightly
between your thumb and the crook of your pointy finger. Your hand
will cramp up into a knot during this procedure, I promise. Just
before tightening the crimper, pull out the dummy wires out of the
connector and crimp away.
The other trick is to strip off 1.5"-2" of insulation off the wires
and arrange them with the dummy wires. Then trim them all down to
the proper size for the connector. Don't bother using the wire
cutter on the crimper, you simply cannot arrange such short wires.
I figure it's better to waste cable than time and connectors. I'm
left in a much better mood, and all the random pieces of colored
wiring on my office floor give it that special techy appeal...