Re: [SLUG] 1 p.m. - WMNG - 88.5 FM

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 17:21:18 EST

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> I don't know if "audio loop" is the correct terminology, but anyway...
>
> A quick and crude audio loop howto:
>
> Normally the audio goes out to the speakers, and sometimes, if you're lucky,
> you have an "audio-out" jack for non-amplified audio (unlike the amplified
> speaker output). You can redirect the audio-out or speaker-out to the
> audio-in in either of a couple of ways:
>
> * - Using a hard audio line (made from Radio Shack stuff)
> * - Using your audio control software to have the audio card record what it is
> playing (what I have used)
>
> When using the speaker-out jack, be careful of the volume. You can cause
> clipping and possible damage to the sound card if the amplification is too
> high. That's why I would use the audio-out to audio-in loop (with software
> control). Hence, an "audio loop" recording. Does that sound right?

IANAAudioGeek, but I would interpret an "audio loop" as a sound meant to be
played repeatedly, so the end merges seamlessly with the beginning. I would
say what you have done is a "software loopback" or something similar (as
opposed to a "loopback connector", a piece of wire that connects audio-out
to audio-in. Neat trick, though. Did that require special software, or is
it just what your card can do?

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"