Re: [SLUG] A real HARD(ware) question

From: perthie (perthie@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 19:34:56 EST

<snip>

> Then I hooked up USB keyboard, it
> worked
> OK, until the next reboot. Now when it boots, I can't access the
> BIOS;

some bios's dont support usb keyboards /at all/.

> it boots straight to the OS (either XPee or Knoppix). The OEM
> (eMachin"ezzz") support guy suggested to remove CMOS battery for a
> couple of hours: did not help any. After the system boots to OS, it
> will
> not shutdown completely:

which os? windows? knoppix? both?

<snip>

> My Q is: How can I test the PS/2 connector on the MOBO to see if it
> is
> shorted out inside? Is there a way to replace (re solder) the
> mouse/key

with a paperclip and a multimeter. pins 3 and 4 are the only ones you
can test for voltage. pins 1 and 5 are data, so theres no way to test
them without plugging in a keyboard. you should, however, be able to
find a short by pushing a paperclip into each of the holes one at a
time, then using the multimeter on the underside of the motherboard to
verify only one pin has continuity for each hole (you'll have to take
the motherboard out of the case).

ps/2 pinout is here:
http://www.hilmanindustries.com/pinouts/ps2key.htm

> connectors on a MOBO (replacing the MOBO is a last resort: OEM
> Windooze)?
> I have been Googling for two days now, but can't find anything of
> help.
> Any advice or suggestions or direction is more than welcome.

try a different ps/2 keyboard first (as someone else already
suggested). do you need to get into bios often? the machine im using
right now has a completely broken ps/2 keyboard port. while i cant get
into bios, the machine still serves its purpose.