RE: [SLUG] xine sound

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 10:28:54 EST

This isn't an .asf (old Windows Media) file; .m3u is an MP3 playlist, but
the error message indicates they put Windows Media A/V format targets on it
(stupid, since .asx is the preferred method for Windows Media playlists and
WM Audio now uses the .wma extension versus .wmv for Windows Media A/V).

It could also be that they encoded the .asf using an audio codec (ACELP.net)
not currently supported in the win32codec package (Bloomberg TV's feed is
one example).

You need the win32codec package to play Windows Media files. It is not
usually installed with xine but some distros list it as a dependency for
mplayer. There is also an mplayer plug-in (xmms-mplayer, I think) for XMMS
that will let you play formats supported by mplayer in XMMS (it essentially
calls mplayer to play the file).