Re: [SLUG] embedded linux - second try

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 22:26:54 EST

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:04:29 -0500, Bill Glidden
<bglidden@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> [...]

Since it's a pentium, you don't really have to worry about
cross-compiling necessarily. I've done something similar to this, the
main problem with building the system in compact flash on another
machine and transferring to the embedded system is that sometimes the
bios will translate the CF geometry differently from one system to the
next, which frustrates grub.

Gentoo is a really good choice, as it works almost like LFS, though
the portage snapshot can take up some space if you're really cramped.
You can use an initrd to save space and mount read-only CF partitions
if you need to limit writes as well. What I've done in the past is to
use dd to make a file full of zeros, build a filesystem on top of
that, mount the file as a loopback device, copy a stage one tarball as
if it were a new partition, mount and chroot into the file, build
gentoo normally with really limited requirements, strip the stuff you
don't need, and copy the rest to CF once it fits the bill. It limits
writing to flash memory and gives you some elbow room while you're
building.