Re: [SLUG] Wireless Routers and Bridges

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 10:41:36 EST

On Saturday 08 January 2005 08:58 am, Doug Koobs wrote:
> Paul M Foster said:
> snip
>
> > Bridges are specialized routers, designed to connect two or more
> > networks or LANs. They use info from the MAC layer (MAC addresses?) to
> > route packets.
> >
> > Routers are more general purpose. They make decisions or where to route
> > packets based partially on info from higher up in the protocol stack (IP
> > addresses?). They can be made to function as bridges, though perhaps
> > less efficiently.
>
> You have the concepts correct. Some of the terminology may not be
> technically accurate. Bridges do use MAC addresses to route frames, but
> they don't connect two networks. Rather, they connect segments (possibly
> with different physical media) of the same network. In other words, all of
> the segments connected to a bridge have the same network address, and all
> the hosts on the segments are in the same broadcast domain (but seperate
> collision domains).
>
> Routers do route packets based on their destination IP address. However,
> each interface on a router connects to a different network (with possibly
> different physical media and data link protocols), with different network
> addresses and seperate broadcast domains.
>
> These links may provide more info:
> http://www.linktionary.com/b/broadcast_domain.html
> http://www.linktionary.com/c/collisions.html
> http://www.linktionary.com/b/bridge.html
> http://www.linktionary.com/r/routers.html
>
> None of this probably answers Franks questions though. You asked "What is
> the difference between a wireless router and a wireless bridge?" A wireless
> router would be used to connect one network (with wireless and wired
> segments) to another network, usually the Internet. A wireless bridge would
> be used to connect a wired device or segment to a wireless segment on the
> same network.
>
> You also asked "can one convert a Netgear wireless router into a wireless
> bridge?" To better answer this question, we need to know what exactly you
> are trying to do. Do you already have a wireless network setup, and you're
> trying to connect a device to it that does not have wireless capability?
> Or, do you have no wireless network setup, and are trying to connect two
> wired devices/segments without running cable between them? Or, am I way out
> in left field?
>
> Doug

Connect one computer to an existing network.

I could do this by adding an internal card but I had rather not get in to
those configuration issues.

Whit I would like to do is use the bridge/router to connect to the existing
wireless network and then pipe the ethernet DSL into the computer by the RJ??
normal eathernet port. By doing it that way I will not have to reconfigure if
I hardwire the computer in the future.

Also I do not want the bridge/router to act as a router in the correct usage
of the word meaning straight in by antenna straight out by one wire. Nor do I
desire for this device to act as a fire wall. All I need is a simple
transceiver to receive and sent which is connected to the computer by means
of eathernet.

Frank