Re: [SLUG] Wireless Routers and Bridges

From: perthie (perthie@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 11:18:24 EST

<snip>

> Now I am more confused than I was. The issue to me is not clear. So
> let me
> explain what we have and what I need and then maybe someone can
> advise me.
>
> There are 3 existing computers in our second office. Two can
> communicate with
> each other and with the outside world by wireless. One, mine, can not
>
> communicate with the other two computers as that is not desirable
> from an
> employment perspective. I can communicate with the outside world. If
> I added
> a fourth computer with a fourth wireless router/bridge it would need
> to be
> set so that it could not communicate with any other computer by
> wireless only
> communicating with the outside world. A firewall is not desirable in
> this
> router/bridge as the system to be connected would be a SuSE 9.2 which
> as you
> are aware of has internal firewall capabilities nor would normal
> routing
> action be required only straight in straight out.
>
> Under these circumstances can a wireless router [normally used to
> connect to
> the line side] be used as a wireless bridge [normally connected to
> the
> computer side]?
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

#include <stddisclaimer.h> /* without knowing the model number, this
information may not be entirely correct or useful. */

most linksys wireless routers have a bridge AND a switch built in as
well as a router. some older linksys models have options for disableing
the routing portion (i dont have model numbers handy), and linksys
makes some wireless bridges (wet11). either of those should work for
you.