Re: [SLUG] Re: A real HARD(ware) question

From: R.G. Mayhue (rmayhue@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 07:24:57 EST

On Saturday 08 January 2005 10:16 pm, Branko wrote:

> Well, I don't see a speaker on the "Mommy", and there is no connector -
> or - pin for it.. That kind of surprised me at first, but looking over
> the pic @ Foxconn WEB site and the manual, it looks like there is no
> speaker (weird). I even plugged speakers in to see if anything happens,
> but it's really quiet (I mean really!!). Never seen it before. The thing
> of the matter is, it's a cheap box, I'm doing a favor for a friend, but
> drives me nuts. Then again, I've never used Foxconn Mobo; I always stay
> with ASUS or ABIT, but there was a price consideration here (tight
> budget) and this "thing" had good reviews on NewEgg's web site (makes me
> wonder who actually writes them, even though I have bought most of my
> stuff there and never had a problem..).
> Anyway, I'll reassemble everything again in the morning and if I have no
> luck, I will send the Mobo back...

I have seen bad CPU's cause this.

Although you could have received a MB that was DOA before you send it back,
check the CPU using a MB you know to be good or you could end up repeating
this scenario. You could also put a known good CPU into the new MB but it
sounds like you don't have an extra one laying around. If it turns out to be
the CPU then chances are the MB could still be good.

FWIW, a lot of the time you can get decent MB & CPU combo deals at or slightly
above the cost of either one alone and the combo deals can be worth the extra
cost depending on how much you value your time. If one component failed the
other components have weathered the same environment and could have a
shortened life expectency. You could replace one component and the other
could fail a short time later.

-- Rob