Re: [SLUG] Re: A real HARD(ware) question

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 08:39:18 EST

> > OK. I've tried everything suggested and concluded the original Mobo
is
> > bad (maybe a small brown mark on top of the Southbridge chip should
have
> > been a giveaway..).
> > So the new Mobo came in (Foxconn 845GV4MR-ES; from NewEgg). Tore up
the
> > ol' rig, installed the CPU (Celeron 2.6GHz Northwood), the RAM (256K
> > PC2700), connected (a brand new) PSU and monitor (to the on-board
Intel
> > video) and... and nothing! No beeps, nothing on the screen. The CPU
and
> > PSU fans are spinning, but the thing is dead.
> > After building a few 'puters, I have not have this happen to me
(yet).
> > So I re-checked all the connections, checked the PSU voltage,
reseated
> > RAM and CPU, and still nothing! No beeps of any kind, no BIOS
screen,
> > not even the monitor LED turns green (stays orange.. no signal).
> > Should I classify this Mobo as: DOA?
> > B.
>
> FWIW, when I've seen this before, it was because the motherboard was
> accidentally grounded one way or another to the case. I've had to
> unmount the motherboard from the case, with minimal add-on cards in
> place to discover this. Just a suggestion.
>
> Paul

The brass standoff may be too wide or slightly offcenter where it
contacts
the pad on the solder side of the mobo, and hits a trace? Use a fiber
washer
between the standoff surface and the solder pad. Ground is still
maintained
through the screw body, from the component side pad, to the standoff
threads. I've been 'bit' by that scenario but on older boards.

- Bob