[SLUG] Wireless Routers and Wireless Bridges

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 19:30:03 EST

Hi All

I am still a bit confused about a few things concerning Wireless Routers and
Wireless Bridges.

Lets assume the simplest possible situation.

That is there is an input eathernet line from an ISP to a 'Wirelass Router'
and that there is one computer connected to a 'wireless bridge'.

Question 1: How would one convert a 'Wireless Router' into a 'Wireless
Bridge'?

Several other parts of this I am not getting after an hour of arguing with a
network expert and a Belkin representative are:

Question 2: Is a 'Wireless Router's router or not? The best I can figure out
is that a router sends a package to a device depending on address of the
device. For example a package called X enters a router with and address of A1
and then sent to the location of device A1 specified in the router. Now
suppose all packages that enter the router can go to one and only one device
and that there is a full and complete transfer of all inputs to outputs with
out change such as one would have if the input line was a wired signal and
the output was an antenna with no routing. Then is this device a router or
not?

Question 3: Is a switch a router? Recall the 'Wireless Router' above. If I
understand how this device is made what you have is a eathernet line input to
a switch with one of the ports of the switch connected to a transceiver. So
having this switch there to me does not make an 'Wireless Access Point' into
a router but it does make it a 'Wireless Router'.

Question 4: A 'Wireless Bridge' appears to be simply a transceiver connected
to a switch. If this is true then how does this make this a bridge?

Frank