[SLUG] Hub, Switch, & Router

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 20:07:20 EST

Hi All

Laying on the couch thinking about this I believe that the following is
correct:

Lets assume a device with one what we shall call a line connection and 5
output connection. This device will be a:

Hub
Non configurable
If all packages into any one port go to all other ports.

Switch
Non configurable
If an input package only goes to the port that contains the device that the
package is directed to. Can not figure this one out how the switch knows to
sent a package inputed to A to output B instead of C and what happens if you
need it to also go to D?

Router
If you configure the device such that that a package in A go to which ever
combination of ports you choose for outputs. By this one could configure all
e-mail to go to ports A & B AFN to no other port, all html to port C and
reject all other packages. You can configure this as you want.

Frank