Re: [SLUG] md5sum

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 00:39:25 EST

Richard Smoot wrote:
> How do I use md5sum to check a download?
> I just dl'd the ISO image of the ftp install of SUSE 9.2 Pro.
> I also got the md5sum for it.

Here's what I do on the command line (I'm certain there may be better methods
which may make more sense if you verifying many files):

echo <known good checksum cut/pasted from website/whatever>
md5sum <downloaded file>

then do a visual comparison of the two strings. For example, if I know the
checksum for foo.iso should be "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e":

> [mark@granite ~ 3]$ echo d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e; md5sum /tmp/foo.iso
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /tmp/foo.iso
> [mark@granite ~ 4]$

Having the known good and the calculated checksum on top of each other makes
comparison easier.

-- Mark